21 July 2010

Zucchini Quiche

I'm going to start with a confession - I cannot follow a recipe. The minute one is before me, I find a way to tweak it . . . it's almost as though I'm physically unable to follow instructions. That being said, the recipe I did follow (TasteofHome.com) was probably yummy, but my way was even more YUMYUM!
4 cups zucchini (thinly sliced)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 eggs
2 tsp fresh basil, torn into tiny pieces by Miss Mia
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp fresh oregano, torn into tiny pieces by Miss Mia
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups Mozzarella cheese
6 bacon strips
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 pie shell

Saute onion and zucchini until tender, drain. Microwave bacon until crisp. Whisk eggs, herbs and seasonings together in large bowl. Stir cheese into egg mix. Stir in zucchini mixture. Spread mustard over shell and add egg mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Some more confessions - I got lazy, and some of the zucchini at the end wasn't so thinly sliced. The onion, well, I was crying, so I don't think it was the thinnest either. I used turkey bacon. Also, probably went a little heavier on the pepper, basil, oregano and Italian Seasoning than I listed, but I love my seasonings. Also - I'm not a big fan of zucchini unless it's hidden in cakes or bread, so I was really excited when the house started smelling SOOOO GOOD and then, when I actually enjoyed the meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment