01 February 2011

Cranberry Wine Jelly

I love cranberry juice, and when I noticed the recipe for Cranberry Wine Jelly in the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving, I put it on my list to try. Plus, it just looked so darned easy.

If you have friends helping in the canning process who enjoy a glass or two of wine, you may want to have a few extra bottles on hand.  We ended up needing about triple the amount the recipe called for (I promise, I did not imbibe as I was pregnant the initial time we tried this recipe).  I guess making jellies is a thirsty process!

Cranberry Wine Jelly
2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin
1/4 cup Burgundy wine (a great time to use delish local wines!)

Combine cranberry juice cocktail and sugar in a large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Stir in liquid pectin.  Return to a rolling boil.  Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in wine.  Skim foam if necessary.  Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust two piece caps.  Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.



Follow me on over to these Linky Parties!
gluesticks - Get Your Brag On! 
Tatertots and Jello







 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. I have to say that this jelly was AWESOME! But I'm not sure which was better-the jelly or drinking the wine while making it :) We definitely have to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift that would make! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting via the Weekend Wrap Up. I saw your link and immediately at to come over and check out this recipe. One of my 2011 goals is to try to make jelly or jam this year with my kids. This looks like it might be a good project.

    ReplyDelete