23 February 2011

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cake

My goal is to actually use some of the recipes hiding out in my massive pile of cookbooks.  I know - a weird concept for me!  I'm not going to make it a goal to make every single recipe in a cookbook, but I will attempt as many as interest me when I flip open that book to make my meal plans for the month.

This recipe had me all excited.  Unfortunately, I felt let down.  It didn't turn out to be the rich, ooey gooey comfort cake I'd anticipated.  Don't get me wrong, it's good; it's just not GREAT. 

One nice thing about this recipe - it is very toddler friendly.  Miss Mia enjoyed mixing most everything together!


This poor slice of cake was "served" to me by Miss Mia.

***UPDATE***

This cake is much better the second day.  Seriously.  The Hubby didn't sample the cake until the day after it was baked.  He was raving about it, something he doesn't normally do.  I tasted the cake again.  It was yummy!  I will be making this again and letting it sit for at least a day prior to serving.  It tastes like a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, but as a cake!  

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cake
~ adapted from 9x13 The Pan That Can

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 3/4 cups boiling water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut up
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1  unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 12 oz package semisweet chocolate pieces
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Place rolled oats in a large bowl.  Pour the boiling water over the oats; let stand for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan; set aside.  Preheat oven to 350.

Add granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter to oat mixture, stirring until butter is melted.  Stir in eggs until combined.  Stir in flours, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until combined.  Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate pieces.  Spread batter evenly in prepared pan or dish.  Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and the remaining chocolate pieces. 

Bake about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a wire rack.

Makes 15 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment