16 March 2012

Homemade Cheez-Its




I love me some snack foods.  BUT I hate thinking of all the icky stuff that goes into them.  So, when I found this recipe, I thought I'd try it.  Seriously, snacky food with only 5 ingredients?  SCORE!

Mom came up right as these were coming out of the oven.  She stayed to sample a few . . . and then sampled a few more . . . and a few more.  She hates HOT stuff and told me to remove the Cayenne next time I make them for her, but she still kept eating this first batch!

My one friend tells me they're "a lot of work for something you can buy for 2 bucks . . . ".  I disagree.  They're worth it!

Homemade Cheez-Its
~ adapted from Fromaway.com


1 cup flour (I used 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup regular)
4 T cold butter, cut into squares
8 oz Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
3/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Cayenne Powder
Water to form dough
Kosher salt (optional)

Place all ingredients in food processor.  Process.  Enjoy the pretty color of your new food processor.  Think about taking pictures of it to share since it was such a great pre-Thanksgiving deal!  Pulse until mixed.  Slowly add cold water 1T at a time until mixture creates a dough.  Place dough on parchment paper and place in freezer for at least 30 minutes.  Do not rush this part.

After dough has chilled at least 30 minutes, place between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to 1/8" thick.  Using pizza cutter, cut dough into squares roughly 1" square.  Transfer to parchment paper lined cookie tray(s).  Sprinkle SPARINGLY with kosher salt.

Bake 25 minutes or until crisp.  I waited until they started turning brown to take mine out.  They then started to crisp while cooling.  Try to let cool before eating all of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment