03 May 2011

Flour Substitutions

CONFESSION!
Have I said before that I NEVER actually read over the entire recipe before I make something?  Seriously, I'll glance at the recipe and think "oh yah, I should probably get ingredients a and d . . ." and then, impulse will strike prior to me buying them, so it's off to the computer I run.  There are TONS of suggestions for what/how to make substitutions, so I usually read over quite a few of them, average the amounts together and come up with what I use as MY substitutions.

Self-Rising Flour
- to make two cups of self-rising flour, use 2 cups all purpose flour with 3 tsp baking power and 1 tsp salt

Cake Flour
- to make 1 cup of cake flour, use 3/4 cup all purpose flour with 2 T cornstarch

All Purpose Flour - Whole Wheat Flour
- substitute up to half of recipe's called for all purpose flour with whole wheat flour (i/e recipe calls for 2 cups of all purpose flour - use 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour)

No comments:

Post a Comment