05 May 2011

Lavender Loaves


This recipe is very close to the Lavender Pound Cake I made for my return to work, but I think I like the Pound Cake a little better.  The loaves taste like a pound cake with no real hint of the lavender flavor.  Plus, I just like the glaze on the Pound Cake better!  This is a simple recipe, so I won't be quick to put this in my "not-so-much" pile, but it won't be my "go to" recipe when I'm craving some lavender.

I think this recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens, but the ripped out page has no little tag in the corner like most magazines AND no page number!

Lavender Loaves
~ adapted from Better Homes and Gardens (I think)!

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 T dried lavender
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup 1% milk

Drizzle:
1/4 cup water
1 T dried lavender
3/4 cup confections' sugar

Heat oven to 350F.  Spray two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 5/8 inch loaf pans with cooking spray.  Mix flours, baking soda and salt in medium size bowl.  In a large bowl, beat butter, lavender, sugar and vanilla until fluffy, bout 3 minutes.  Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Slowly add 1/3 of flour mixture, 1/3 of sour cream and 1/3 milk.  Beat after each grouping has been added.  Divide between pans.  Bake at 350F for 55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool on rack 10 minutes before removing from pans and cooling completely.  We enjoyed one loaf without making the drizzle.

To make Drizzle:
Microwave water and lavender for 30 seconds on high.  Let steep 5 minutes.  Strain out lavender and discard.  Whisk together 4 tsp of the lavender water and the confections sugar.  My lavender soaked up all of the water, so I had to actually add more water, microwave again and steep another 5 minutes.  Drizzle over both loaves.  Slice and serve. 

~ Makes 2 12 slice loaves;  approx 227 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment