03 May 2011

Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta

I'm not certain what I think of this recipe. I had decided to make it because I had all of the ingredients. I also thought it was a somewhat healthy new way to enjoy pasta . . .

I didn't hate it.

But, it isn't a meal I'll ever "crave".

It won't go on our meal plan, but I wouldn't NOT make it again, should I feel like enjoying some pumpkin in my main meal one evening.

Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta
~ adapted from rachel ray magazine

1 pound whole wheat penne rigate
2 T extra virgin olive oil
3 shallots, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, grated
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
15 oz pumpkin puree
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
2 pinches ground cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
Pepper
grated parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the EVOO in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, pumpkin and cream. Add the hot sauce, cinnamon and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.

Toss the pasta with the sauce and pass around the parmesan cheese at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment