30 December 2010

Make-Ahead Pizza Casserole

I have a confession to make . . . I rip recipes out of magazines prior to passing them on to friends and family.  I always mean to make the recipes, but usually, they just sit in a pile.  I never do anything with those recipes for a few months, other than look at the pile and think "maybe next week, I'll make  something . . ." and then I toss the riped out pages during one of my purging sprees. When I toss them, I feel guilty that I ruined a magazine and didn't get to share something potentially  yummy with others.

So, I've decided to go through my latest pile and make the recipes that initially caught my eye.  I decided to start this today.

My first recipe is from one of the (what seems like) zillions of Parenting magazines that keep piling up here, no matter how large the pile is I purge every so often.

The Hubby loved this recipe.  I thought it was pretty good . . . after I got past the feeling I was eating a baked french toast!

~ Some advice prior to making this - if using regular bread, let the slices sit out for awhile to dry out prior to making this.

~ If using canned tomatoes, drain 'em . . . this gets pretty soggy.

~ I think I'll add peppers and onions the next time I prepare this meal.

~ Watch spice bottles, when cooking with a 2.5 year old . . . it's amazing how quickly little kiddo fingers can grab something and even more amazing at how much will come out of the spice bottle when you only wanted a small amount!  Thank goodness the Hubby and I enjoy our Mrs. Dash Herbs and Garlic bottle of seasoning.

Make-Ahead Pizza Casserole
~ adapted from parenting magazine april 2009

6 servings
1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 lb pepperoni
3 medium tomatoes, cored and diced
6 cups cubed whole wheat bread
5 eggs
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Spray 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.  Set aside.

In large bowl, toss together mozzarella, pepperoni, tomatoes and bread.  Turn out the bread mixture to evenly cover baking pan.

Use same bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk.  Add milk, sour cream, oregano, basil and garlic powder.  Beat well.

Pour the egg mixture over the bread, tilting the baking pan from side to side to soak all the bread cubes evenly.  Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate at least three hours, or overnight.

Remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes; heat oven to 350.  Uncover the casserole and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and crisp on top.

Linking to the following:





No comments:

Post a Comment