17 December 2010

Sugar Cookie Bars

The cookies with green colored icing just in time for Christmas.

I love me my sugar cookies. So, I was really excited when I discovered one of the newly provided bar cookie recipes was for SUGAR COOKIES! I kinda felt like Buddy the Elf in Elf when he hears Santa will be arriving at the store the next day. Okay, so maybe I wasn't cheering as loudly and jumping up and down like he was, but you get the idea . . .

Oh, yah, we liked this cookie. So much so that we've gone through two batches and still have none in the freezer. My Dad requests them anytime he or my Mom is at my place.

Sugar Cookie Bars
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Icing:
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3-5 T milk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.

In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Give them a quick mix and set aside.

In bowl for stand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar and egg 2 minutes. Ad vanilla and almond extracts and beat a minute more.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat for 2 minutes.

Press the dough into an ungreased large jelly roll pan (12x18 inches). Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool completely.

To make the icing:
Combine butter and cream cheese in medium sized bowl. Beat for 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk 1 T at a time until desired consistency (if you put in all 5 T at once, it might be too runny and will drizzle off of bars). Mix 1-2 minutes, or until smooth.

* if you happen to not have the almond extract in your cupboard (FOR SHAME if that is you!), just use all vanilla.

** I've made this with all purpose/whole wheat flour sharing duty. They were more crumbly. When I make them again, I'll probably do 2 cups all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat.

1 comment:

  1. I can't fit a jelly roll pan in my oven so I used a 9"x13" plus an 8"x8" to bake these. I also didn't make the icing because I didn't have any more cream cheese. And I don't like almond extract (30 lashes with a wet noodle, I know) so I did use all vanilla. I'd like to try them with the icing next time.

    ReplyDelete