16 December 2010

Snickerdoodle Bar Cookies

I love me a bar cookie . . . yes, it's because I'm lazy. But, come on, you have to admit that it is so much easier to just throw the dough in a pan and have all the cookies done in one pass through the oven!

So, when I was given two bar cookie recipes, I had to try them. The first is this Snickerdoodle Bar Cookie. Yummy. Made these for the Hubby's birthday gathering. They were a success.

The original recipe calls for the dough to be placed in one 9x13 pan. This makes for a pretty thick cookie. I'm thinking that, my next attempt at this cookie, I may try turning the dough out into a cookie sheet . . . but that's for another time . . .

Snickerdoodle Bar Cookies
1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Filling:
1 T granulated sugar
1 T cinnamon

Heat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 pan with Pam. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Beat butter on high until creamy. Beat in sugars. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Beat until combined.

Add dry ingredients and beat on low until just combined.

Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon filling. Dollop teaspoons of remaining batter over cinnamon filling - gaps will provide the marbled "snickerdoodle" look.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely, cut and enjoy.

*** edited 1/1/11 to include baking powder amount.

5 comments:

  1. Augh. Yes. It's a 350 oven! That one handed typing gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured... It would take a leeeeetle bit longer to bake at 30*. ;)

    Two thumbs up for these! They are amazing!!! I had to bake mine for 35 minutes, but my oven is wonky. I think I might use even more cinnamon in the filling next time because I love cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a cinnamon lover as well. When we were canning this summer, my friends were making fun of me because I would use cinnamon in every recipe, lots of it, and also would use it to replace other spices.

    Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We go through cinnamon like nothing here. I have to buy it at least once a month! I'm hooked on the McCormick Saigon Cinnamon. Have you tried that one? It seems to be a bit "spicier" than the regular cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete